“Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT) is the pioneering form of cognitive behavior therapy. REBT is an action-oriented psychotherapy that teaches individuals to identify, challenge, and replace their self-defeating thoughts and beliefs with healthier thoughts that promote emotional well-being and goal achievement.
- REBT was developed in 1955 by Dr. Albert Ellis. Dr. Ellis has been considered the second most influential psychotherapist in history. Prior to this death in 2007, Psychology Today described him as the “greatest living psychologist.” www.rebt.org
- Whether we use REBT as a therapeutic or a coaching intervention,
rational living results in teaching us “how to stay sane in a crazy world,” as Ellis was known for saying.
- When applying the concepts of U.S.A. (Unconditional Self-Acceptance, U.A.O. (Unconditional Acceptance of Others) and U.L.A. (Unconditional Life Acceptance) in all aspects of our lives, at home, work in our recreational time, we embark on a journey for rational living.
- We learn swiftly how to disallow an event or a ruminating thought to dominate our thought processes thereby eliminating self-defeating behaviors and unhealthy negative emotion.
- Inevitably, we respond from a place of serenity and handle situations, internally or externally resulting in a better relationship with ourselves and others. We can conquer a great deal when our minds are calm and at peace and situations are handled with grace and dignity is preserved.