by Irene Maltzan
The holidays bring us happiness and joy but also can stir up many other emotions. Especially if we are going through a stressful period it can also be a time that we overindulge, don’t exercise and fall out of our routine of taking care of ourselves. If we have been working on ourselves this is the time to be aware of our habits that can sabotage our health, emotions and wellbeing. It is important to take steps to prevent this from making us start the New Year with yet another resolution. Why not enjoy yourself but also have a toolkit to survive the holidays? Even if you pick only one thing it can make a difference on how you feel. So here is your toolkit:
- On holiday weeks eat lighter meals and avoid excess sugar, alcohol and caffeine.
- On the day of a holiday have a protein shake for breakfast. This will give you a good detox before you start your holiday feasting.
- Suggest going for a walk with someone after dinner or before dessert, if you are not doing the holiday, instead of eating, drinking and sitting the entire time. If you are doing the holiday get up and hour early and go for a long brisk walk.
- Use tongue scraping or brushing in the morning and evening of the holiday. It will help curb cravings and also keep your teeth and breath clean.
- Bring an appetizer, dessert or side dish that is healthy so you can eat more of something that you know is healthy for you. Instead of falling into the pattern of I couldn’t find anything healthy to eat so I gave in.
- Take a bath with sea salt or Epsom salts before you leave to relax or afterwards to detoxify.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of water in between drinks to avoid dehydration and hangovers from sugar, alcohol and caffeine.
- Start the day with ½ lemon squeezed into warm water. Also the next day to flush out all the toxins.
- Do some deep breathing before you leave or have guests and set an intention that you will have a positive day and enjoy your relatives and friends.
- Go to yoga or exercise class the next day to get back on track.
BONUS TIP: If you really need to take the edge off take a ½ dropper of Rescue Remedy flower essence in water before you leave. This will help you relax and enjoy the day. It has helped with many holidays for my clients, my kids and me.